Wednesday 18 December 2013

Status Update | A Lion King Christmas

I don't know about you, but with Christmas day just a week away, I'm finally feeling festive.

Not least because last night I realised a dream more than a decade in the making, when the entirety of my family got together to attend a performance of The Lion King live. Simba's spotty performance did not ultimately undermine what was a wonderful show overall; a real visual feast that I'm so pleased to have seen.


I've been humming 'Be Prepared' ever since leaving the theatre, and this morning it occurred to me that I could do worse things in life than take Scar's advice.

Which is my way of saying that though I'm usually one of the very first folks to bang on about the year's best books — Top of the Scots has in the past happened in early December — in 2013 my other obligations have regrettably had to take precedence. I've had to stockpile columns, including this morning's edition of the British Genre Fiction Focus, and ready a fair few reviews to run on Tor.com over the holidays. Truth be told, I've been so busy in November and December to date that it only just hit me that Christmas is coming.

And you know what? I want to enjoy it, so instead of spending the few days remaining to me this year putting together Top of the Scots, I'm going to give myself over to the Christmas spirit. To wit, I warrant you won't be hearing a whole lot from me over the holidays, but when I do get back to blogging, it will be worth the wait. Scots honour!


For a sneak peek at a few of my favourites, check out the Tor.com Reviewers' Choice, in which I count down the three best British books I've read in 2013. I've contributed to another end of year feature as well: Strange Horizons has a few hundred words from me about the books I've gotten most lost in this year.

Now to lose myself in festive merriment...

You all have a brilliant Christmas, and a happy New Year, you hear?

1 comment:

  1. Shakespeare populer berbicara, “Untuk diri kamu sendiri jadi betul.” Kita membaca buku mengenai bagaimana kita wajib melakukan suatu hal.

    Ambil pelatihan mengenai bagaimana kita semestinya berperangai, dan memberikan contoh apa yang kita saksikan dilaksanakan seseorang untuk tingkatkan diri sendiri.

    Ada beberapa argumen kita ingin mengubah siapa kita banyak salah satunya karena sesuaikan atau penuhi tuntutan atau keinginan seseorang. Kita kerap menggunakan kedok yang lain atau memperlihatkan sisi kita yang lain berdasar keadaan yang kita menghadapi.

    Tetapi, bila Anda terus beralih untuk penuhi keperluan dan keinginan seseorang, Anda bisa menjadi seperti kapal di laut yang diterbangkan ke mana saja angin bawa Anda. https://dunialakilaki.com/ Saya sudah bekerja dengan beberapa orang yang sudah coba mengubah diri sendiri supaya pas dengan warga, keluarga mereka, dan seseorang hingga mereka betul-betul kehilangan kesadaran diri.

    ReplyDelete